Millward Brown Launches Brand Ranking
Millward Brown Optimor, the research group's specialist financial and ROI arm, has announced a new ranking, the BRANDZ Top 100 Most Powerful Brands study. Combining consumer research with publicly available financial data, the study gives Microsoft the no.1 spot, followed by GE and Coca-Cola.
BRANDZ uses data that provides brand equity measures for more than 30,000 brands. MB says the ranking is unique in at least three ways:
BRANDZ(tm) Top 10 (value in $million):
- the first to combine consumer research with public financial data to measure the contributions brands make to the bottom line
- the only ranking to quantify consumer sentiment about a brand's momentum and future prospects, and
- the first to focus on 'market facing' brands as opposed to corporate brands.
Source: Millward Brown Optimor (including data from BRANDZ(tm), Euromonitor International, and Bloomberg)
In addition, the study found that:
'This is the first study that goes beyond financial data and 'expert opinion' to include in-market insights about a brand's strengths and momentum from potential customers,' says Andy Farr, Executive Director at Millward Brown Optimor and lead researcher on the study.
- Europe leads the world in luxury brands: Louis Vuitton ranked (24), Mercedes (28), Porsche (44), Chanel (75) and Cartier (82). Demand for luxury goods is growing very rapidly.
- Chinese brands such as China Mobile (4th in the ranking) and PC manufacturer Lenovo are rising fast
- retail brands are becoming more influential in consumer shopping behaviour. Wal-mart is ranked 6, Tesco 30, eBay 38 and Amazon 78.
Joanna Seddon, EVP, who heads up Millward Brown Optimor globally adds, 'We've seen that strong brands can create very real financial value in many ways. The best brands drive revenues and profits, reduce risk and cost of entry into new markets and attract talented staff to companies.'
The BRANDZ study will be conducted annually and involves interviews with 650,000 consumers globally. It uses financial data from Bloomberg and Euromonitor International to assist in assessing Brand Value, Brand Contribution and Brand Momentum attributes.
Millward Brown is part of Kantar, WPP's insight, information and consultancy arm and is online at www.millwardbrown.com .