The Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) has launched a Canadian Digital Advisory Committee, whose remit includes review coverage of interactive and emerging media such as web sites, e-readers, mobile apps, hybrid audience measurement and ad-serving.
The committee will be chaired by Ted Boyd, CEO and partner at 58Ninety Inc. and a member of the ABC Canada Board Committee as well as the US version of the digital advisory committee. Boyd says the US committee, set up in 2008, ‘looks at many of the same issues as we have here but Canada is a unique marketplace for a number of different reasons - geographic structure, and certainly our bilingual nature.’
The need for a standardized and up-to-date model of digital measurement was the primary motivator for creating the committee, according to Neal Lulofs, ABC's senior VP, communications and strategic planning, citing the rise of hybrid measurement (integrating panel and site-centric data) as a factor shaking up the market, along with the proliferation of e-readers and the recent unveiling of the iPad. He adds: ‘That's at the centre of the CDAC discussion, where our publisher members are coming to us with new applications they want to deliver, to the iPhone or what they want to do with the iPad, and they want to make sure it will qualify under ABC rules and guidelines. The other side is what all that drives from the web traffic point of view and that's where the measurement model comes into play.’
The committee includes:
- Brent Bernie, President, comScore Media Metrix
- David Carmichael, General Manager, Online Operations, Rogers Business and Professional Publishing Group
- Gilad Coppersmith, MD, Digital and Emerging Media, OMD
- Matt Devlin, Account Director, Communications, Planning and Digital, ZenithOptimedia
- Kim Machado, Director and Group General Manager, Rogers Media–Digital, Consumer Publishing Division
- Graham Moysey, SVP and General Manager, Canwest Digital Media
- Angus Robinson, Online Product Manager, Transcontinental Media
- Andrew Saunders, VP, Advertising Sales, The Globe and Mail
- Peter Vaz, VP, Director Digital Communications, M2 Universal Digital.
Other topics at last week’s inaugural meeting in Toronto were ad operations workflow challenges on both the publisher and agency sides; and ABC's current and future digital reporting opportunities.
Web site: www.accessabc.com/canada.htm